A brand-new collection gathered from the Stax catalogue of southern-flavoured dancers, from soul to funk and in between.
“Can I Be A Witness: Stax Southern Groove” features 11 previously unreleased tracks from such illustrious names as the Soul Children, Little Milton, the Emotions, the Sweet Inspirations, the Nightingales and Frederick Knight, amongst others.
The other nine tracks from artists such as Eddie Floyd, R.B. Hudmon, the Rance Allen Group and Eric Mercury delve deep into the archive, bringing you B-sides, obscure album cuts, dancefloor favourites and originally unissued tracks.
The booklet is well illustrated and comes with an in-depth essay from compiler Dean Rudland.
1. Bad Water - Little Milton
2. Can We Talk This Over - Eddie Floyd
3. How Can I Be A Witness - R.B. Hudmon
4. Love Is Taking Over - Eric Mercury
5. Burning On Both Ends - The Nightingales
6. Forever & A Day - Mel & Tim
7. I Wanna Make Up (Before We Break Up) - Major Lance
8. You Ain't Playing With No Toy - Soul Children
9. I Got To Be Myself - Rance Allen
10. Passing Through/World Keeps Turning - Frederick Knight
11. Ain't Enough Hours - The Emotions
12. Changes - Jeanne & The Darlings
13. Slow Down - The Nightingales
14. Soul Groove - Art Jerry Miller
15. Don't Fight The Feeling - The Sweet Inspirations
16. Three's A Crowd - The Temprees
17. Helping Man - Jean Knight
18. True Love Don't Grow On Trees - Veda Brown
19. The Natural You - Ollie & The Nightingales
20. Leaning On Your Undying Love - Shack