Dinked : Crystal Clear vinyl * / Alternative sleeve design * / ‘KALAK’ rhythm wheel * / 8-page booklet / Hand numbered edition * / Limited pressing of 400 *
Limited LP : Dark Green Vinyl
Sarathy Korwar returns with new album KALAK. The follow up to the politically charged, award-winning More Arriving is an Indo-futurist manifesto - in rhythmic step with the past and the present, it sets out to describe a route forward. It celebrates a rich South Asian culture of music and literature, which resonates with spirituality and community, while envisaging a better future from those building blocks.
Recorded at Real World studios with meticulous production by New York electronic musician, DJ and producer Photay, who translates these communal rhythms and practices into a timeless and groundbreaking electronic record. There’s a spirituality and warmth at play in the polyrhythms, group vocals and melodic flourishes.
The KALAK rhythm is the fulcrum upon which the 11-track project balances. After an intense lockdown induced period of reflection and meticulous note-making, Korwar boiled this down to the circular KALAK symbol which he then presented to his band before recording began. With the symbol projected on the walls in order to de-code and improvise around, Korwar had utter faith in the musicians he’d assembled and conviction in the concept.
1. A Recipe To Cure Historical Amnesia
2. Remember (feat. Kushal Gaya)
3. Utopia Is A Colonial Project
4. Back In The Day, Things Were Not Always Simpler (feat. Noni-Mouse)
5. The Past Is Not Only Behind Us, But Ahead Of Us Side B
1. Kal Means Yesterday And Tomorrow
2. Remember Begum Rokheya
3. That Clocks Don’t Tell But Make Time (feat. Kodo)
4. Remember Circles Are Better Than Lines
5. Remember To Look Out For The Signs
6. KALAK - A Means To An Unend