Dave Brubeck is one of very few artists to cross over from the jazz world to the pop charts.
The versions of his recordings issued as singles often had unique performances or edits created for them which have rarely been reissued until now. This compilation features A and B sides from both the UK and USA issued between 1956 and 1962, including all UK chart and Billboard hits.
This includes versions of ‘It’s a Raggy Waltz’ and ‘Blue Shadows in the Street’ that were specially recorded for single release and not issued on LP, the original single version of his international hit ‘Take Five’ and many 45 rpm edits issued here in stereo for the first time.
Includes collaborations with singer Carmen McRae and clarinettist Bill Smith, along with his classic quartet featuring saxophonist Paul Desmond. The set features what could be described as “Bite-sized Brubeck” in comparison to some of his long-form 10-minute performances. It serves as a great introduction to his genius as a pianist/composer for those new to his music, but also as a Rarities set for his fans.
- At A Perfume Counter
- Me And My Shadow
- I’m In A Dancing Mood
- Take Five (Single Version)
- Blue Rondo A La Turk (Single Edit)
- The Piper
- It’s A Raggy Waltz (Single Version)
- Blue Shadows In The Street (Single Version)
- Take Five with Carmen McRae
- It’s A Raggy Waltz with Carmen McRae
- Easy As You Go with Carmen McRae
- Unsquare Dance
- Camptown Races
- Short’nin’ Bread
- Eleven Four
- The Duke (Single Edit)
- Tangerine (Single Edit)
- Far More Blue (Single Edit)
- Gone With The Wind (Single Edit)
- Bossa Nova U.S.A.
- This Can’t Be Love (Single Edit)