Limited 2LP : 180g Red/Blue Vinyl
Cumbia, the music and the dance synonymous with Colombia, has been around almost since the 17th century. Today, it’s a badge of identity for Colombians everywhere, but is now also enjoying a global renaissance; filling dance floors and captivating a new generation of music fans.
Originally released by World Circuit as two separate albums – ‘Cumbia Cumbia’ in 1989 and ‘Cumbia Cumbia 2’ in 1993 - this collection brings together some of the greatest recordings made by Colombia’s legendary record label, Discos Fuentes, between 1954 and 1988.
Discos Fuentes was founded in Cartagena in 1934 by the visionary musician, arranger and producer, Antonio Lopez Fuentes. It was the first important record label in the country and grew into a company of immense significance for Colombian music, responsible for thousands of hits and scores of legendary singers and musicians over six decades. Fuentes hand-picked his musicians and singers then meticulously arranged, produced and recorded their music in-house.
This collection presents thirty of these three-minute-masterpieces, showcasing the gamut of styles that make up the distinctive and irresistible cumbia sound; a sound typified by a loping 2/4 gait and a pulsing rocksteady bassline, overlaid with heavy rural percussion, brass, accordion, clarinet, electric guitar and vocals. Disc 1 features a broad range of cumbia styles with recordings from 1960 through to 1988, whilst disc 2 digs further into the classics of the past focusing almost exclusively on the 1950s and 1960s.
Featuring cumbia’s biggest hits from Rudolfo y su Tipica, Gabriel Romero, Sonoro Dinamita and Armando Hernandez, ‘Cumbia Cumbia 1 & 2’ is a flawless collection from the Golden Age of Cumbia.
“This album makes a case for cumbia being one of the great overlooked dance musics of the Caribbean”
New York Times
“Colombia must be a pretty grand place if it can produce dance music like this”
‟..this allows one to (re)discover the best of the singers and groups who made up the golden age of cumbia. ″
- Rodolfo y Su Tipica RA7 – La Colegiala
- Gabriel Romero – La Subienda
- Armando Hernandez y Su Conjunto – La Zenaida
- Adolfo Echeverria y Su Conjunto – Amanciendo
- Pedro Laza y Sus Pelayeros – Navidad Negra
- Conjunto Tipico Vallenato – Cumbia Cienaguera
- Rodolfo y Su Tipica – Tabaco y Ron
- Gabriel Romero – La Piragua
- Los Immortales – La Pollera Colora
- La Sonora Dinamita – Se Me Perdio la Cadenita
- Los Warahuaco – El Pescador de Baru
- Conjunto Tipico Vallenato – Cumbia Sampuesana
- Pedro Laza y Sus Pelayeros – Cumbia del Monte
- Combo Los Galleros – Soledad
- Los Guacheracos – Baila Rosita
- Los Corraleros de Majagual – Llora Acordeon
- La Sonora del Caribe – Noche de Estrellas
- Los Cumbiamberos de Pacheco – Santo Domingo
- Sonora Dinamita – Ritmo de Tambo
- Lito Barrientos – Cumbia en Do Menor
- Andrés Landero – Cumbia India
- Combo Los Galleros – Tabaco Mascao
- Los Corraleros de Majagual – Cumbia Campesina
- Clímaco Sarmiento y Su Orquesta – Cumbia Sabrosa
- Montería Swing – La Samaria
- Los Guacharacos – Esperma y Ron
- Los Gavilanes de la Costa – Los Gavilanes
- La Sonora Cienaguera – La Piojosa